Tuesday, September 11, 2007

That was fast!

*
I placed the order for my new desktop PC on Saturday evening. I got an email last night (Monday) telling me it had shipped. And I got the shipment this morning (Tuesday):


It took me longer to decide what to get than it did to get here! I chose ground shipping, since it was free, and I don't think it would have arrived any faster if I'd paid for overnight delivery. It helps that they don't manufacture them in China. When I ordered my laptop (Toshiba) a couple years ago, I had to wait a couple weeks since those are made in China. Here's to the many benefits of buying "made in America"....

I decided on a Dell XPS 410, and took a leap by opting for Windows Vista as the OS. I got as much processor (2.66 GHz) and RAM (4GB) as they'd give me -- I heard that's best when using Vista, and a "mid-sized" hard-drive (500GB). It boggles my mind that one can easily acquire a terabyte (1,000 GB) of storage these days. Even more mind-boggling that people can fill that up. I guess HD movies take up a lot of space.

My Ali-cat approves:

"Thank you so much for the new lounge chair, mama"
*

"It's soooooo luxurious!"
*

I probably won't get around to setting it up until this weekend. At least my last system's monitor, mouse and speakers will work with it -- that helped save a few bucks. I sprung for a new, slightly fancier keyboard, (has a volume dial and some extra USB ports -- can't have too many of those).

The other day I read PC Magazine's review, slideshow, and a few of their other articles about Windows Vista, and I'm looking forward to using some of the new features.

Here's hoping this machine lasts me another five years, at least.
*

8 comments:

Cat said...

Wow - I know you're glad!

Nikki said...

Woo hoo! Congrats on the new cat toy! (and computer!! :) )

Courtney said...

Congrats on the new coomputer. I have a Dell and I love it. I hope you love yours too!

lemmie said...

Isn't it funny how much cats love boxes! I've stopped buying toys because between the boxes and milk bottle plastic tops my cat seems very happy :)

Anonymous said...

Glad you'll be up and running soon. Dell-gotta love 'em. Great customer service too.
Great to see you last night!

Bess said...

What a beautiful cat! And woo woo on the new new computer! I chose to not go with Vista because I knew my darling one would fight with all it's nagging requests for you to be sure you really wanted to open up the Microsoft Typepad - and were you sure you knew where that program came from?

:D

I am sure I could eventually have figured out how to turn that off - but I didn't want to live with BD while I was learning.

Hugs

Sneaksleep said...

What is it about cats and cardboard boxes? My cats would choose a box over a pile of cozy blankets any day of the week.

Sangeeta said...

I am curious to hear your review of Windows Vista. I have heard some scary things.