Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Belated Father's Day

*
Check it out -- even Honest Abe got his yarn on:


I know, I know -- not that kind of yarn. But he's still a cool dude.

I love old books. The older, the better. I picked this one up back in April at the Richmond Public Library's Friends Book Sale. They have a special room just for rare books, and I always make a beeline for there first. You never know what treasures you might find.


106 years old!


A few years ago at that book sale, I found a 1917 first edition of Henry Vincent Hubbard's An Introduction to the Study of Landscape Design, the first textbook on landscape design published in this country, for the first landscape design program in this country at Harvard University. I'm pretty proud of that find.

And this year, I was finally able to get my hands on a used copy of Hortus Third in excellent condition. It's not particularly rare, but at one point was particularly expensive. I see I can now buy used versions from sellers on Amazon.com for around $22, I suppose because the information within is becoming more and more outdated as the years pass. But from what I've read, there will be no Hortus Fourth, so Third is a good reference to have in the gardening library.

My dad is a history buff, so I figured he might like that Lincoln tome. I am going over to my parents house tonight for a belated Father's Day celebration (his request) and am bringing dinner and his gift (the book), before heading on to knitting group. I hope he likes it!

And I'll finally get to lay my eyes on the print version of Sunday's RTD article about the Hokie blanket sewing party. Speaking of which, it looks like our knitting group will be sewing another one together tonight at Barnes & Noble. If you're in the area, come join us!
*

No comments: