Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Sock Saga and other Knitting Knews

***
In the ho-hum category of knitting progress:

There hasn't been an actual knitting WIP update here for quite some time, and that's really by design. I'm still working on the same old sock and the same old shawl, and progress on them is crawling, so rather than another boring report on "one more inch completed", I've just blogged about other things.

As far as the world's slowest sock progress, I'm done with the cuff and leg (easy part) and am at the heel flap. Turns out, it's a good idea to count your stitches before you start your heel flap. At some point during the leg knitting, I'd added an extra stitch on needle one, thereby negating the need for a Make-One (M1) at the beginning of the heel flap. Since I ignored good common sense and did a M1 anyway, according to the pattern, without counting my stitches first, I found I had a slip stitch at the end of my third row, which I knew wasn't right. So I pulled the needles out and frogged a few rows, but then as I was reinserting the needles I dropped not one, but three (THREE!) stitches. Since I didn't have a crochet hook small enough to fix them, I had to hold them with safety pins, and there they've sat, waiting, for most of last and this week. I only recently acquired the appropriately-sized crochet hook, and so now must find some quiet time to grit my teeth, gird my loins and fix the problems. Did I mention that progress has been crawling? Mostly due to my oh-so-mature, Scarlet O'Hara method for handling setbacks -- set them aside to deal with another day. I'll get to it....

The shawl, a garter stitch rectangle, is just a much longer rectangle than the last time I showed any progress, but with still quite a ways to go. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
***

In the more exciting category of fiber events:

  • Unless you've recently crawled out from under a rock, you are more than aware of this weekend's annual fiber-lovers' pilgrimage to mecca, otherwise known as the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival. If you plan to attend and would like to wave hello if you spot me, it might help for you to know what to look for. I recently set up a CafePress store and have purchased a t-shirt, hat and button with my logo, to wear at fiber events, (but probably not all at the same time). So look for the logo!

I've signed up for the following classes:

  • Beginning Socks on DPNs (I need all the help I can get!)
  • Turkish Cast On (for toe-up socks on Magic Loop)
  • Too Kool (Kool-Aid yarn dyeing)
all of which will set me back a whopping $10, (not including lodging). Liz and I may be driving up together and perhaps staying at the same place, once we decide where to stay. Any lodging recommendations are welcomed!
Here's hoping I run into some of you this weekend!
***

2 comments:

Krista said...

There isn't many places to stay around there. There used to be a B&B in Stanardsville called The Lafayette. It changed hands a little while ago and not sure if it's a B&B still. Other than that, plenty of lodging in northern Cville. Maybe we could meet up for dinner and knitting at CVille Coffee!

Bess said...

Can't wait to see you on Saturday.

I want a gigantic hug!