Friday, May 04, 2007

Mary's Excellent Adventure - Part 1

*
Because of the ambiguous nature of my line of work, lately, for any extracurricular activity in my life, I tend to waffle until the very last minute, not making definite plans, not knowing if work is going to interfere with life. And this time was no different -- I made no hard and fast plans to attend this weekend's Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. I did, however, have the foresight to reserve a hotel room, just in case.

Earlier in the week, as it became more apparent that work would not, in fact, be interfering, I made tentative plans with a fellow Richmond knitter to drive up together. Understandably, however, she later found out that she couldn't get away from family responsibilities for an entire weekend.

I'm a big girl, and did not fret. Instead, I decided right then and there to try a little experiment. A little adventure, as it were, and see how I'd like going to Mecca all by myself. I'm actually really looking forward to coming and going as I please. After all, it's how I spend much of my single life. Why does this need to be any different?

Yesterday, despite the fact that Cuzzin Liz was in town, I opted to avoid the downtown crowds, and went to a plant sale instead. Today I puttered around the house all day, doing laundry, cleaning this and that, and packing, and didn't leave until 5:30 or so. It is now about 10 pm and I'm safely and comfortably nestled in my Columbia, MD hotel room, typing this blog post, only slightly worse for wear after battling the Beltway traffic.

I did make one pit-stop along the way:



That's the Knitter's Cottage in Fredericksburg, VA. It's just two miles off of I-95, and therefore only a slight, but worthwhile detour.

It's in a wonderful old house, with lilacs fragrantly blooming on either side of the porch steps. The inside is sunny and bright and makes you feel welcome as soon as you walk in the door. Shop owner Nancy greeted me warmly and gave me a little tour of the place, and then allowed me to browse on my own. Since I had arrived at the dinner hour, I had the place to myself. I ended up leaving emtpy-handed, but knowing that I'd happily make that detour again, next time I'm toodling up the interstate.

And now I must lay me down to sleep, to wake up early for wool and sheep!

Tomorrow, Part II of my excellent adventure!

*

3 comments:

Robin said...

TOTALLY EXCELLENT!! I wish I was there with you...think about me while you're petting all that nice yarn!

Briana E. said...

I like your blog, it's so funny! I'll be at the MD S&W festival alone tomorrow also. I'm looking forward to being there alone, with all those hundreds of people.
Have fun at the fest!
Your neighbor, Briana

Nikki said...

have fun!!!!

and how cute is that yarn store?!?!