Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Vacation 2006 - Part 3: Cape Hatteras Light

***
***Breaking News*** : Frumpy, out-of-shape, middle-aged woman trudges up 252 steps to top of 12-story structure and her heart does not explode. Alert the media.

***

Last Thursday we decided to make a half-day trip and drive south to Hatteras island and the town of Buxton, where the lighthouse is located.


But first we drove over to where the lighthouse originally stood for 129 years before it was moved a mile inland in 1999:


Each of those stone blocks is inscribed with the name of one of the original lighthouse keepers.

Dedication to the lightkeepers
***

Another view of Hatteras light, America's tallest
***

Lightkeepers cottages
***

Inscription as one enters the lighthouse
***

Our group begins the long deathmarch climb to the top
***


Don't look down!
***

View of lightkeepers cottages from the top
***

view from balcony of lantern room, which houses the First-Order Fresnel lens
***

looking up into lantern room from inside
***

view of lighthouse shadow from the top
***

As many times as I've been to the Outer Banks, this was my first time climbing the Hatteras lighthouse, and I do believe it's something everyone should do at least once in their life. I'd do it again, although I think they need to space the landings more frequently. One landing every thirty-two steps is too far apart for this couch potato. You think they'll redesign it for me? ;-)
***

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This frumpy, out of shape middle aged woman DIDN"T climb the light! SO my hat's off to you!!

Anne Margaret said...

Oh Mary! I was stunned at your "from the top" pictures. So far up there! Next time, try Fort Henry lighthouse in Virginia Beach - it must be the shortest one on the east coast! I've been loving your end of summer montage - perfect for this weekend. Thanks!

Robin said...

I'll climb it with you Mary!! However, we be competing for oxygen...sucking wind! I'm a frumpy-older-out-of-shape-woman too!!

Krista said...

Beautiful photos from the top of the lighthouse. I don't think I'd even climb that many steps! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Nice pics!!