Thursday, April 27, 2006

Movie Musings

***
I'm slowly working my way through all of the 2006 Oscar contender movies in my Netflix queue.

I've recently watched Pride & Prejudice and Memoirs of a Geisha, both of which were beautifully made, and North Country, which I thought was well done, but felt vaguely familiar, perhaps reminiscent of Norma Rae. War of the Worlds was fun, and not too terribly bloody.

Sitting on my coffee table is Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but I'm holding off on watching that until I finish the book, which I may do tonight. In today's mail are Crash and Walk the Line -- looking forward to watching both of those, perhaps on Sunday.

Still in the queue are The Constant Gardener, Syriana, Hustle & Flow, Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Good Night and Good Luck, and Munich. No hurry.

I don't have much interest in TransAmerica, Cinderella Man or King Kong.

Tomorrow United 93 opens in theaters. It appears to be a wonderfully accurate and thoughtful depiction of the events of that day and that flight, but I don't think I can watch that movie in public, for the weeping. I've always been immeasureably proud of those 40 people, and 4½ years later, that day still remains irrevocably etched in my mind and heart, as I'm guessing it is with most Americans. It doesn't take much for me to tear up at the thought of it.

I will always remember where I was when the first plane hit the first tower. I was in a rental car in St. Louis driving from my hotel to my client site. It was first announced on the radio with mild amusement because the announcer thought it was a woefully lost small private plane. Minutes later amusement was replaced with shock and disbelief when the second plane hit and the truth trickled in. At the client site, we spent much of the rest of the day in front of the television down in the cafeteria. There was no getting through to CNN's website. At some point during the day my friend Debbie called me in a panic to make sure I was okay. "Deb, you know I don't fly on Tuesdays", was all I could think of to say. I remember how USA Today had an article in that day's paper with a list of items every savvy business traveler should carry, and included in that list was a Swiss Army Knife -- I remember how ironic that seemed. Three of us went to dinner at Appleby's that evening and watched the President's address there. Later that night I spent many hours glued to the news, but finally had to switch to Nick-at-Night so I could relax, stop crying and go to sleep.

I do want to see this movie, but will watch it at home, I think. I'm guessing it'll be out on DVD in mid-September, appropriately enough.

Hmmm. Didn't mean to slide into something so maudlin. It's only April, after all.
***

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have some wonderful movies to look forward to! I've recently seen Brokeback, Walk the Line, Crash and Good Night -- waiting for Capote to come in from Blockbuster by Mail. I will be interested to hear what you think about them! So far, my overwhelming thought is that the selection of Crash was a huge mistake, considering the competition for Best Movie.

I have no intention of ever seeing United 93. We will never know exactly what happened up there with those brave people and this movie can never be any more than some writer's imagination, for the most part. I think dramatizing the horror of that day to make money is despicable.

I can't imagine that anyone over about 10 will ever forget where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news on September 11, 2001. I was sitting in my office when word came of the first plane and my reaction was "great, some moron flies a six seater into the WTC and now we'll have to hear about it all day." Shortly afterwards, of course, we all became too aware of what was happening. Who could have dreamed how all of our lives would change forever that day.

Anonymous said...

I won't be able to watch the movie, either, I don't think.

I lost a friend who was on one of the planes that hit the WTC and to this day I can't even look at a plane without thinking of him and freaking myself out.

I was one of the few people I guess who really wanted Sept. 11 to become like a national day of mourning, you know, a day of remembrance. I don't think a movie is really the way to go, IMO. But I don't know, I guess people all react/work it out in their own ways.