*Little Brother's (replacement) St. Patrick's Day Birthday hat, completed:
- Yarn: Malabrigo 100% worsted merino in "Vaa" (#51). This yarn is like butter to knit with -- a real joy, (especially in comparison to my last project which was knit with cotton-elastic).
- Gauge: 5 stitches per inch
- Needles: U.S. size 8 (5 mm) Denise Interchangeable circular & Clover Bamboo 7" DPNs
- Pattern: NiksKnits Irish Hiking Hat
- Size: ~22" circumference
- Modifications: none, at least not intentionally, although I'm not particularly crazy about how the crown shaping "in pattern" turned out -- I may very well have screwed that up, somehow. But seeing as I was still knitting this an hour before the party, I didn't have any time to fix whatever was broken.
- What I'd Do Differently:
- Knit the 4-inch, 2x2 ribbing a few inches longer -- possibly as long as 7-8", so that the folded cuff covered more of his ears;
- Seriously rethink the crown shaping in pattern, because I believe it could be improved upon;
- Possibly increase up to 117 stitches after the ribbing and have cables all around, instead of alternating a cable and a knit ridge.
In any case, I'm glad it's done -- I can now get back to more leisurely no-deadline knitting projects.
By the way, Little Brother turned 40 yesterday:
so, to celebrate, his wife held their annual St. Patrick's Day/Birthday bash. (Can you guess what his first name is?)
I love the napkins they used:
Sister-in-law Jenny prepared all the appropriate Irish favorites, including corned beef:
Irish Soda Bread:
(okay, maybe the salad isn't Irish):
There was also a green punch:
And the obligatory green beer:
Some delicious Cold Stone Creamery ice cream cakes:
And birthday presents. Here's the birthday boy, holding the Life is Good shamrock mug I gave as one of his gifts:
(Leaning against the wall is the Doggie Driver I also gave him this year.)
Oh, and we watched VCU put up a valiant effort against Pittsburgh, before succumbing in double overtime:
Despite the hometown team's loss, all in all, it was a fun evening!