***One year and three days ago my sister-in-law Jenny gave me a birthday gift that changed my life. I had been begging her for weeks to teach me how to knit, and at my 40th birthday party, she gave me a beginner knitting book and kit, described here. Three days later, on her birthday, she sat down with me for 15-20 minutes and taught me the knit stitch. And created a monster. And there's been no turning back.
I never would have guessed how a simple craft could change my life.
In the last 365 days:
* I've knit approximately 25-30 items, (I never said I was fast!)
* I've started a knitting blog
* I've joined a knitting group and widened my local circle of friends
* I've attended two fiber festivals
* I've "met" countless other knitters, either virtually, in person, or both
This craft has opened up my world, enriched my life, and I'm still loving it and can't wait to start the next project and learn the next skill.
And speaking of knitting skills, since this is my Knitiversary and since it's also the approximate half-year mark since I made my Knitting Resolutions back in February, (in honor of Chinese New Year, and no, I'm not Chinese), I thought this might be an appropriate time to take a look at that list and see what goals, if any, I've accomplished thus far:
* Learn to knit socks: YES! - SoXperience 2006!
* Knit a clapotis: NOT YET
* Knit & felt a purse/bag/tote: NOT YET
* Knit a hat: NOT YET
* Learn at least one other "challenging" technique - (cables, intarsia, etc.): NOT YET
* Go to at least one fiber event: YES! - Two!: SFF and MSW!
* Take at least one knitting class: YES! - SoXperience 2006!
* Better organize yarn stash and knitting paraphernalia: Sorta! (still a work in progress, but better than it was in February. I now have a bin for my yarn and have recently destashed the crap yarn, so definitely a step in the right direction!)
And so, on this my 1-year Knitiversary, I've reached about half of my knitting goals for the calendar year, and I'm pretty happy with that! I look forward to what the rest of the calendar year and the next knitting year brings! More finished items, more fiber festivals, more knitting classes, more new knitting friends, more knitting skills, more knitting fellowship, more stash enhancement and organization.
The sky's the limit! .. :-)