Saturday, October 14, 2006

Hat Trick

***
The weather has cooled down considerably around these parts, (I love October!), which has thus filled me with an urge to knit something soft and warm for my head.

And so, I give you, my very first ever (finished) knitted hat:

Self-portrait, sans eyewear.
(And it's no mistake that I cropped out much of my honkin' nose...).

***
Hat specs:

  • Yarn: Misti Alpaca Chunky, (100% Baby Alpaca), color # 701 "Marina Melange", ~100 yards
  • Needles: U.S. size 11: Denise interchangeable circulars; Crystal Palace bamboo DPNs
  • Gauge: 3 stitches/inch
  • Pattern: Cast-on 66 stitches. Join in the round. Knit every row for 7½". Decrease & finish following Super Simple Hat Calculator instructions.

I have not blocked this hat yet - does it really need it, I wonder? It fits perfectly, but perhaps blocking would even out the stitches a bit, if that actually mattered to me, which it doesn't, really. In any case, it sure is soft and warm, and I haven't taken it off except to sleep since I finished it yesterday. It took just two evenings to knit, and I could have finished it in one, except that I had to run out to The Yarn Lounge yesterday to buy some size 11 DPNs. (Any excuse to yarn shop!) I resisted all their woolly goodness, however, even though I was sorely tempted by their Blue Sky Alpaca and Debbie Bliss and Jo Sharp and Manos and Rowan and... and... and..., and I just bought the needles I came for.

That Misti Alpaca came from Got Yarn, whose owner, Danna Savage, was nice enough to let me come by her closed shop a few weeks ago while she was packing it up. I ended up being the very last customer of her brick-and-mortar shop -- her business is now strictly on the internet. I bought 7 hanks (108 yard each) of that "Marina Melange" colorway, (it's teal, people!), and three hanks of the sage green, and I think most or all of it is earmarked for hats, unless anyone has other suggestions. I want to knit one with a ribbed brim, and perhaps one with a super-wide ribbed brim like Laurie's "Brangelina" hat pattern. I'll probably have enough left for a nice scarf, as well, perhaps with some cables, like the Irish Hiking Scarf. (There's also a knit-along for that -- it's fun to see that pattern knit with all different kinds of yarn).

My head is now toasty warm, but my hands are still cold, so I think it's time to work on the wrist-warmers I started awhile back. Perhaps that will be this weekend's project -- good football knitting.

Gosh, I love quick-to-knit projects! I may never, ever knit a sweater or afghan!

Keep warm this weekend, everyone!
***

5 comments:

Liz R. said...

What a beautiful hat, Mary!!! You did a great job!

You have very pretty eyes, too!

Love, Liz

Anonymous said...

Great hat! I have a similar one in green, although I have so much damn hair it looks quite stupid on me.

Your post brings out the urge to curl up and knit, but unfortunately having a young child means my football watching/sitting days are on hiatus for a couple more years. Sigh.

Suzanne said...

Hats rock! They are one of my most favorite things to make. Round and round, decreasing, then you are DONE!

I must make the Star Wars hat for the BoyWonder, or maybe one like it. He has asked for a dragon vest too. And I have work, and school, and.....

Love the hat!!!

Krista said...

Yeah! Wonderful hat! It looks so soft and squishy!

Anonymous said...

Mary, I like the rolled brim.