Sunday, October 01, 2006

Happy Blogiversary to Me and You!

***
Howdy!

One year ago today, I created this knitting blog in response to my need to document somewhere my thoughts, questions, progress, setbacks and random musings about knitting, and occasionally other areas of my life. My sister-in-law Jenny taught me to knit in July of '05, and this blog was an attempt to give her some relief from a constant barrage of questions, emails and phone calls about knitting from this overly-enthusiastic beginner.

I had no idea how much knitting and knit-blogging would open up my world, and I hope there are many more years of knitting and blogging ahead of me. I've met so many great folks through this medium, both in person and virtually, and I've learned a TON from reading others' knitting blogs, as well as attending classes and joining my knitting group, which I found thru another local knit-blogger. (Thanks, Jane!). Knitting, and blogging-about-knitting has truly enriched my life.

In celebration of today's event, I've decided to have a little contest, of sorts. I've pondered long and hard as to the format of and prizes for this contest and its winners, and I think I've come up with a workable solution, and one that actually becomes a win-win situation.

But first, a little background.

Back in April, I blogged about a wonderful little charity knit-along that my friend Sydney created. It's called the "Think Pink Challenge", and the gist of it is that she's encouraging knitters and other crafters to knit (or crochet or weave) a pink scarf for Breast Cancer Awareness, and she will then distribute the scarves to groups that will ultimately get them in the hands of patients undergoing treatment.

Syd's original deadline was the end of September, but she's had a new upsurge of responses, so she's extended the deadline to October 15th.

I recently finished my scarf, so I thought I'd share the finished object today, the first day of National Breast Cancer Awareness month. The pattern is the pink heart scarf from the Fall '04 special Breast Cancer Awareness issue (<- pdf file) of Knitty.

Early progress - yarn is Crystal Palace "Iceland"
***
Decided to block the two sides separately before grafting
***
Close-up of blocking
***
Finished object
***

Close-up of kitchener's graft - a little wonky, but I'm not stressing over it
***

Okay, enough about my scarf. It's on it's way to Syd, along with two others. Here's hoping they go to someone who will find comfort in them.

On to the contest. And here it is:

I am throwing down the gauntlet. Anyone who, in response to reading this post, knits (or crochets or weaves) a new scarf to contribute to this knit-along, will qualify for a drawing to win a skein of Blue Moon Fiber Arts' "Socks That Rock" sock yarn, in the colorway of the winner's choice. If that particular yarn is not to the individual's liking, (you're not a sock knitter, let's say, or you don't knit with wool yarns), I'm willing to send the qualifying winner a comparably-priced yarn of their choice.

If there is a large response, I will draw up to five names of winners, possibly more, depending on the response. Anyone contributing more than one scarf will automatically get additional entries into the drawing, one entry for each new scarf created, which will increase that person's chances of winning a skein of yarn. Once a person wins their first skein, however, they are not qualified to win any more during this contest.

Here are the guidelines:

1) This should be a new scarf, created sometime between today and October 15th.

2) In order to qualify for the contest, it must be received by Syd by October 15th. Syd's mailing address is on the Think Pink blog.

3) Once you've completed and mailed your scarf, email me (maryklarson[AT]comcast[D0T]net) and let me know, so that I can confirm with Syd that she's received it. Only then will your name be entered into the drawing. If you include a digital picture of your finished scarf -- all the better, but it's not a requirement.

4) Drawing will be held sometime during the week of October 15th -- perhaps during my Tuesday Night knitting group, so that it can be photographically documented. Winners will be announced shortly after the drawing, and prizes will be purchased & shipped immediately upon learning the winner's choice of preferred yarn.


I hope I haven't forgotten any details. If you have any questions, feel free to email me or leave a comment here.

Thanks, in advance, everyone, for your contributions!
***

12 comments:

Zonda said...

Lovely scarf!!! I have 1 done and at least 2 more to do! Thanks for doing this!

Crystal Palace Yarns said...

Your Iceland scarf is beautiful! The Heart really shows up clearly.

Susan from CPY

Anonymous said...

I CAN'T STAND PRESSURE!!!!
But I love your scarf. See you Tues.

Kathleen Colligan said...

WOw You have learned alot in one year! I am impressed - I am new to knitting and trying to absorb as much as I can..I just found yor blog and like it!

Syd said...

Mary,

Thanks so much for your faithful support of Soulful Knitting Ministries in so many ways. This most recent "challenge" is awesome! I'm hoping that lots of knitters will join in. Am I eligible to win the prize too? LOL

As of yesterday, I think the total of pink scarves is up to 330. I've been amazed and humbled by the response and I know that hundreds of women fighting breast cancer will be blessed by the generosity of knitters from across the county (and even Australia).

Thanks again for being a great supporter and a great knitting buddy! BTW - I love your blog - Happy Blogiversary! :)

Krista said...

Great idea, Mary! I'm sorry I can't participate because I could not get something out in that short of time. It's a very good cause.

Bess said...

What a beautiful scarf. Alas. I too, am not going to be able to enter the challenge, but I'll be rooting for you and the other knitters.

Hoping to see you soon!

knitfriendly said...

Happy Blogiversary Mary! That is very nice of you to hold this contest for such a worth cause. I won't be able to enter as I am visiting my grandparent's this week and won't be able to knit up a scarf that quickly! Good luck and I will be rooting for you.

Anonymous said...

I'm almost finished with "pinkie" I'll mail it to Syd while we're on vacation. You're a good person!

Courtney said...

Happy Blogiversary! I'm going to do my best to knit a scarf by the 15th!

Ranger Susie said...

Happy Blogiversary, Mary!!

Anonymous said...

I'm mailing off two scarves that I made as well as three more from members of my knitting group. I don't think I qualify for your contest though. I knew about the project before reading about it here, and knitted the scarves a few weeks ago. There are photos of them on my blog. http://throughtheloops.typepad.com/through_the_loops/2006/09/why_i_missed_kn.html
Happy Blogiversary!