Thursday, June 29, 2006

Movie Review: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

***

This is probably one of those movies that you either love or you hate. An independent movie that won't suit everyones' tastes, it hit me just right tonight, and I loved it. Wonderfully delightful, quietly funny with a few tear-jerking scenes as well. Definitely not your run-of-the-mill mainstream Hollywood blockbuster, and thank God for that.

It stars Bill Murray as a Cousteau-esque deep-sea adventurer with ragamuffin crew. I won't say much more about the plot, as it's more fun to let it develop in front of you.

It has an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, slightly off-kilter feel to it, but just enough to make it fun without being bizarre.

Out of 5 stars, I gave it: 5 stars.

Surprising all-star cast: Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Cate Blanchett, Willem Dafoe, Anjelica Huston, and Jeff Goldblum.

Directed by Wes Anderson, who also directed The Royal Tenenbaums, which I didn't like as much.

Enjoyable music by Seu Jorge, who covers David Bowie songs in Portugese throughout the film.

I recorded this from a Starz movie channel; I only wish I had the Bonus Material DVD with me right now to see the extra stuff, which would no doubt be fun.

It's best to go into this film not expecting much, because you'll be delightfully and serendipitously surprised.

I hope I didn't just kill that with my good review.
***

3 comments:

Robin said...

I'll have to check this one out--I like Bill Murray anyway! We seem to like the same things so I feel like if you like it--I'll like it!
Have a great Holiday weekend!

Krista said...

I have been debating this one since it came out! Maybe I'll go ahead and give it a try.

Calling on Kahlo said...

I liked this film as well. I think you have to be in right mind set and not have any expectations, just let the film unfurl. I couldn't get into Royal Tenanbaums, but I liked Rushmore. I's definitely quirky and sometimes we need that!