Sunday, October 02, 2005

The ROY-GEE-BIV scarf

My sister is going to be the weekend lay director for a women's Walk to Emmaus weekend in about three weeks. The unofficial symbol for Emmaus is the rainbow, and so I've decided to knit her a rainbow-striped scarf to be given to her sometime over the weekend. I'm going to knit it length-wise on circular needles, casting on about 300 stitches and knitting anywhere from 5-10 rows of each color, depending on how much yarn is required and how soon I get tired of one particular color. This will be my first foray into knitting length-wise and knitting on circulars. I sure hope I don't make a royal mess of it.

Anyway, here are the yarns I found to fulfill the ROYGBV (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet) requirements:

The only yarn that's not displaying true to color is the purple on the right end. It's really much more purpley and less navy than what the picture shows.

I think officially, rainbow colors (at least those that appear when white light is shown through a prism) are ROYGBIV, but as far as I'm concerned, the "I"(indigo), is too close to blue, and I've therefore skipped that particular (non)color.

Okay, at this point, I think I'm caught up with documenting all my projects, so it may be a week or more before I post anything again.

No comments: